Home cricket Ollie Robinson taking ‘short break’ from cricket after social media furore

Ollie Robinson taking ‘short break’ from cricket after social media furore

5
0

News

Sussex say seamer unavailable for first two T20 Blast fixtures

Ollie Robinson will not be part of Sussex’s squad for their first two T20 Blast fixtures as he takes a “short break from the game” following his suspension from international cricket pending an ECB investigation into offensive tweets he posted as a teenager. Sussex condemned Robinson’s tweets and said that they would “turn [their] attention to supporting Ollie in his commitment to continue to educate himself”, but he will not face further disciplinary action from his county.

Robinson is not a centrally-contracted England player and the ECB clarified at the time of his suspension that he was available for selection at county level if Sussex opted to pick him, but the club released a statement on Thursday confirming that he would not be involved at the start of the Blast.

“After a difficult week, Ollie has decided to take a short break from the game to spend time with his young family,” the statement said. “Player and staff welfare – including mental health and wellbeing – is a priority for the club and, as such, Sussex Cricket fully supports Ollie in his decision.

“When he is ready to return, Ollie will be welcomed back to the club, where discussions with the remainder of the squad over the last week have made clear that he retains the support of all his Sussex teammates. We remain in close contact with Ollie from a welfare perspective and will issue further updates on his availability at the relevant times.”

.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here